Monday, March 11, 2013

DO SOMETHING THAT SCARES YOURSELF

Do something that scares yourself. This phrase kept running through my mind when I accepted the job to photograph a skyscraper downtown Chicago last month. 

If you know me, I photograph people, not buildings. Everything about this session was different from anything I had ever done. There was no such thing as high aperture or beautiful natural light. Instead it was all about being able to zoom all the way in and see how excellent every room in this building was maintained.

Doing something that scared me forced me to learn things about my camera and myself that I never knew. And I now have a new confidence in my photography capabilities that I didn't have before. 

All this to say, I challenge you to do something that scares yourself. Find a way to stretch yourself creatively. Find a way to step out in faith and say yes to the thing you have always been too insecure to say yes to. I'm pretty sure anyone who is amazing at what they do is where they are at because they did things that scared themselves. 

Comparison is the thief of joy. Don't let other peoples talent hold you back.
Joanna

4 comments:

  1. Excellent photos. You're right, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I feel like you are the perfect example of this with Word Ninja! And even gardening like you've always dreamed. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Joanna

      Delete
  2. Great job Joanna! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete